Logistics Officer - Medair
31st, August 2023
20th, November 2023
Medair is a humanitarian organization inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality.
Role & Responsibilities
- Working under the supervision of the Team Lead of the Logistics Shared Service Centre (SSC) located in Nairobi, Kenya, this role will be responsible for key logistics related activities including but not limited to fleet management, stock/warehouse / asset management, logistics support and facility management.
- Medair Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country Programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. The Global Logistics team within Medair manages all the activities related to procurement, supply chain management, infrastructure, fleet, equipment, facilities management & communication means. The team also develops and owns the policies and processes related to logistics activities in the field. The GSO Logistics Operations team is specifically responsible for Global and GSO Supply Chain Management and Base Management in both Switzerland and Nairobi Offices. The SSC in Nairobi is a functional cell of the GSO Logistics Operations team.
Workplace & Working conditions
- Field based in Nairobi, Kenya. Position is open to Kenyan nationalities or those with eligible working permit.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
- ASAP. Full time, open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
Facilities Management 40%
- Ensure the offices and team house facilities are effectively managed
- Ensuring the facilities both office & team house are clean and habitable
- Be responsible to lead or collaborate in various projects related to the set-up and renovation of the office and or team house
- Office porterage as required, including office moves, furniture moves, deliveries and collections
- Ensure all technical faults related to the facilities are properly tracked, reported & repaired
- Ensure the timely induction of the office / surroundings to the new staff (i.e., parking map, access to entry both at the office & team house) and assigning Equipment that pertains to Logistics.
- Ensure the safety checks for the facilities are performed regularly
- Ensure proper management of the Consumables related to all facilities
- Analyze consumption levels & establish minimum order quantity levels & perform timely procurement to minimize stock-outs
- Verify utility invoices to ensure the accuracy ensuring timely payment to avoid disruptions
- Apply Medair Procurement Guidelines in all the above
- In charge of any courier services, archive boxes pick up, Visa pick up (errands in general).
Equipment Management 20%
- Ensure the equipment for office & team house facilities are properly labelled, assigned, and tracked.
- Update equipment data on the equipment management tool
- Update the Personal Equipment Forms
- Clearance of personnel who are leaving the organization
- Perform regular and diligent equipment inventory count for both facilities
- Ensure the loss / obsolete equipment are properly documented and recorded
- Ensure the proper “Replacement” plan is proposed / presented & executed accordingly
- Ensure the “disposals” are timely identified / proposed and executed
- Ensure bills (phone, internet) are timely paid to avoid inconveniences
- Apply Medair Equipment Manual guidelines in all the above
- In charge of equipment repairs identifying repairs providers and ensuring equipment is in good working condition.
- Ensuring all equipment are insured (new and old)
- Carry out random verification at the supplier warehouse for Ready to Ship items
- Oversee the loading of Country program supplies when shipping
- Prepare Waybills and all export documentation for the supplies
- Prepare the Ready to Ship document and keep it updated per country
- Ensuring closure & return of Certificates of Exports to suppliers.
Fleet Management 10%
- Daily vehicle checks
- Monthly vehicle reporting (from the tracking reports)
- In charge of the routine vehicle maintenance (cleaning, servicing)
- Tracking and ensuring timely renewal of the Vehicle insurance
- Support and assist the general work and administration of the Logistics team
- Cover for other Logistics team members when absent
- As and when requested carry out procurement under $2500
- Proactivity towards continuous improvement and simplification, more efficiency and saving opportunities is encouraged
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair in everyday life: with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, external contacts…
- Fully contribute to rich spiritual life of Medair: devotions, prayers, words of encouragement…
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree is preferred, preferably with Supply Chain or Business Operations concentration.
- Diploma in business administration
- Good command of English
- French & Arabic (added advantage)
- Minimum 5 years professional experience in administrative activities
- Current Driver’s license – ESSENTIAL
- CIPS (Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supplies) or KISM (Kenya Institute of Supplies Management) level 2 accreditation – preferred
- Strong computer skills, specifically Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Proven experience and knowledge of operational logistics and supply chain, policies, and procedures.
- Experience of implementing logistics-related projects.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively both internally and externally and both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work across institutional boundaries, units, and teams in an effective and productive way.
Demonstrated ability to work across institutional boundaries, units, and teams in an effective and productive way.