Senior Legal Officer - PACIS Insurance
31st, August 2023
8th, September 2023
The jobholder is responsible for providing strategic and tactical leadership to Management on all legal matters, Undertake the execution of the legal section key mandate and for efficient handling of litigation matters, support the provision of legal advisory to the business, support legal stakeholder management initiatives, processing of legal claims within the required timelines while ensuring compliance to documentation and overall company policy.
- Support Management to articulate legal strategy and execution of actions aimed at safeguarding company’s interests.
- Coordinate the recruitment of competent legal providers, monitor service delivery, and undertake performance management.
- Support risk management initiatives through planning, scenario analysis and stakeholder engagement to ensure appropriate mitigation actions are taken against reputational damages and financial costs.
- Maintenance of the legal claims register
- Negotiate settlement of court awards with third party advocates.
- Offer all-round sound legal advice with key focus on cost savings and customer satisfaction.
- Reduce overall legal costs by dealing with matters in-house through out-of-court negotiations.
- Minimize legal risks - Identify potential legal risks & take steps to protect the company from legal liabilities.
- Manage panel Advocates and other service providers by holding them accountable to Service Level Agreements
- Eliminate proclamations and/or attachments against our insured.
- Pursue legal recoveries on behalf of the company.
Legal Advisory Support
- Assisting in legal research and preparing legal opinions to both external and internal client
- Provide support on legal documentation review by confirming comprehensiveness and adequacy of required documentation.
- Assist in reviewing and drafting contracts, agreements, and internal policies to ensure compliance with all statutory or legal requirements.
- Renegotiate advocates fees in line with the Advocates remuneration order
Legal Claims Management
- Renegotiate advocates fees in line with the Advocates Remuneration Order.
- Analyze claims and assess injuries to claimants to determine the ones qualified for second medical to the panel of doctors.
- Analyze claims based on evidence adduced and contents of investigations report and recommend the ones suitable for out of court negotiations and settlements.
- Carry out thorough investigation in detecting fraud matters from claimants which are not genuine to reduce company exposure to fraudsters.
- Support the negotiation and renegotiation of all associated legal costs.
- Undertake investigation on all suspicious legal matters to weed out fraud.
- Periodical review of legal files to ensure accurate reserves are maintained and to ensure the files are up to date.
Legal Matters Documentation
- To process summons filed against insured by the company.
- Ensure advocate’s fee notes are processed timeously.
- Ensure judgments entered against the insured are processed and proceedings documented properly.
Any other duty assigned from time to time Senior Legal Officer
- Bachelor of Law Degree (LLB) from a recognized institution
- Diploma from Kenya School of Law / Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- At least five (5) years relevant working experience